Thursday, March 23, 2006

What's in a name?

 

 

This is my real name. I am not sure if I told the story of how I got my name but here goes. I am the youngest of 8 kids. There are 6 boys and 2 girls. My mother and father took turns naming us. Well, since my mother named my sister Suzette it was my dad's turn. My father named me after our uncle's boat.

 I kid you not. It was called the Detje B. and the B was for their last name. I have struggled with my name all my life. From the time I started first grade, you didn't have to go to kindergarten way back when lol, to being an adult. I have to spell it all the time. When I was a banker I used my nickname Dutch. It was so much easier. When I was calling a new client and left a message with my nickname and they would call back and asked for me they always thought they were going to get a man. Go figure. lol When my dad passed away I thought about changing it. I thought long and hard about it but I couldn't do it. Everyone knows me as Detje Bea. My younger nieces and nephews call me Aunt Bea, you know from Andy Griffith Show. Now, I live in Mayberry RFD. We don't even have a police station. Our officers are in a trailer. They are building a station this spring. Well, enough about my name.

How is everyone today? I am feeling pretty good. It is going to be about 43 today. We had a few snow flurries yesterday but nothing to speak of. We are going to have a few more today. Everyday the temperature is suppose to go up.

I was sitting in my upstairs bay window when I saw 2 male cardinals and 1 female.

 I love seeing more and more signs of spring.

Tonight we have my daughter's volleyball awards. This is her second year in volleyball and I am so proud of her. She gets better and better every year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the stories behind names isn't it? My Mom, who is 75, had a different name for her era....hers is Mavis Dean. The "Mavis" came from a brand of Talcum Powder and the "Dean" was after a male movie star!! She, like you, didn't care for it her entire life and only once met someone else who shared it. She usually goes by "Mae" but I'm sure she could understand how you feel. I'm glad you kept it though because it is part of who you are and who your Father was. To be truthful, I think your name is pretty and the spirit in which you wear it makes it beautiful :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

OK now i know your name :) Detj Bea i like it very much :)

Deb

Anonymous said...

very interesting story. How do you pronounce your name? Det-Ja or Det-Je?

I bet not too many other people have been named for a boat. Now how did you come to pick the name for your daughter?

betty

Anonymous said...

LOL I don't believe your mom let him get away with it but it is a cute story and a very original name. Enjoy it Hugs, Marina